Forex trading has gone a long way from being a less popular activity to a major phenomenon. It is a method of earning additional profits if you do not back from hard work. As time passes we see even more traders who are involved in this activity.
As technology evolved, rookie traders got the chance to learn more by various new innovations. A demo account is one of them. However as helpful as it might be there are some dangers and in this article, we will talk about them.
What is a demo account and what is it for?
A demo account is a virtual account, a kind of simulated one of a trader’s work on the exchange. It is usually used by newcomers. They need it in order to gain skills in the stock, foreign exchange or commodity markets, without risking their real money. However, it is sometimes used by experienced traders to work out a new trading strategy. The money on the demo account is virtual. They cannot be withdrawn from the account even if the trader has made a fortune on it. So it is a great educational tool.
Real and virtual emotions
A person who decides to try himself as a trader should first use a demo account to understand the principles of the market and form his trading strategy. Everything seems to be simple and clear. However, trading on a demo account is fraught with many pitfalls.
When we talk about the disadvantages of a demo account, first of all, these are dull emotions. Acquiring the skills of working on a demo account, a beginner does not experience such strong emotions as a professional trader experiences when trading real money. This is one of the main arguments that can be seen by people who have tried to learn from it in the past. This is one of the reasons why people get XM bonus account in 2020 for example, as the broker provides the funds itself and sort of creates this risky environment for the traders while not forcing them to use their own funds. For a trader, it’s just some kind of simulator. He uses it to train himself by opening and closing trades without risking anything. There is simply an interest in something new and the excitement of making virtual profits. However, the higher the degree of risk, the greater the reward for it, and in this case, the level of risk is zero and, accordingly, the reward is equal to zero.
It is always advised for you not trade on demo accounts for a long time, since when turning to real trading, it will be difficult for a trader to rebuild both morally and psychologically. Trading on a real account causes a storm of emotions, which can be extremely difficult to cope with. Therefore, after switching from a demo account to a real one, many traders quickly reset their balance to zero. And losing real money is much more difficult than virtual money.
In addition, the trader must know technical and fundamental analysis. And he must also have nerves of steel in order to successfully trade on a real account. At the same time, the ratio of knowledge and the ability to control oneself should be 15% to 85%, respectively.
Trader margin of safety
When training on demo accounts, you need to decide on the amount of money that a trader is willing to risk in real life. It is also worth considering your emotional range and correlating it with the value of this amount. In other words, the more, for example, a trader has shares and the price for them falls, the more difficult it is for him to control himself. Conversely, the fewer shares he has, the less emotion he experiences when their prices fall. Therefore, a novice trader should determine for himself an acceptable and psychologically comfortable value of the risk level. Only the trader himself can determine his psychological state in a particular situation. The secret of successful trading lies in a person’s self-control and ability to control himself in any non-standard situation. These skills will reduce your risk of capital.
Basic rules for trading on a demo account
1. The amount of money to play on a demo account should not be more than the amount of money that the trader is willing to withdraw when trading on the real market. Using large amounts on a demo account, a trader can lose vigilance and control over the situation, moving on to real money.
2. It is necessary to establish such sizes of positions in which the trader will emotionally feel more or less comfortable.
3. A trader must understand the difference between real and virtual money. When trading on a demo account, you need to forget that the money is not real and try to imagine that it can really be lost. This will teach the trader to “keep himself in hand” in the future when switching to a real account when real money is at stake.
4. It is necessary to find a competing trader in virtual trading. This will emotionally revitalize the learning process, teach you to be careful and carefully analyze your actions. In general, the results of trading depend only on the ability to cope with oneself in a difficult situation and, of course, on the knowledge and skills gained while working with the demo version of trading on the market.
*** BEST STOCK NEWSLETTER of 2020 ALERT ***
Updated September 13, 2020
At WallStreetSurvivor, we subscribe to dozens stock recommendation and advisory newsletters. There is ONE newsletter that is constantly outperforming all of the others–The Motley Fool Stock Advisor.
ONE of this year’s Motley Fool Stock Picks Has Already quadrupled, ONE has tripled, and another TWO Have Already Doubled in just 8 months of of 2020!
We have been tracking ALL of the Motley Fool stock picks since January 2016. That’s almost 5 years, 55 months and 110 stock picks. As of Friday, September 11, 2020 the Motley Fool’s January 2 stock pick (TSLA) is up 333%, their March 19th pick (ZM) is up 209% in just 6 months, and another two have more than doubled. In addition, 6 of their 2019, 8 of their 2018, 8 of their 2016, 9 of theire 2017 and 13 of their 2016 picks have also doubled. Most impressively, over the last 5 years that we have been tracking every recommendation, their average stock pick is up 135%. That beats the SP500 by an average of 95%. And that’s even accounting for all of this COVID mess that has wreaked havoc on most stocks. BUT, the Fool has done so well because they have quickly identified stocks this year that will perform well in the post-COVID world. THAT is how the Fool consistently does so well–they adapt and constantly pick stocks before everyone else realizes the opportunities.
- CrowdStrike (CRWD) — June 4, 2020 pick is already up 32%
- Shopify (SHOP) – April 2, 2020 pick and it is already up 164%
- Zoom Video (ZM) – March 19, 2020 pick and it is already up 209%
- DexCom (DXCM) picked Feb 20, 2020 right before the market crashed and it is still up 41%
- Tesla (TSLA) picked January 2, 2020 before the crash and it is up 333%
- HubSpot (HUBS) picked December 5, 2019 and it is up 82%
- Netflix (NFLX) picked November 21, 2019 and it is up 54%
- Trade Desk (TTD) picked November 11, 2019 and up 117%
- Zoom Video originally picked Oct 3 and it is up 398%
- SolarEdge (SEDG) picked September 19, 2019 and it is up 105%
Now no one can guarantee that their next picks will be as strong, but our 5 years of experience has been super-profitable. They also claim that since inception, their average pick is up 529% and now we believe them. You sure don’t want to risk missing out. Many analysts are saying that we have passed the bottom of this COVID crisis and stocks will recover quickly. So make sure you have the best stocks in your portfolio.
Normally the Fool service is priced at $199 per year but they are currently offering it for a NEW SUBSCRIBER DISCOUNT of just $99/year if you click this link.
GET UP TO $1,000 IN FREE STOCK
WHEN YOU OPEN A ROBINHOOD BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
Robinhood was the first brokerage site to NOT charge commissions when they opened in 2013. They just past 10,000,000 accounts and to celebrate they are offering up to $1,000 in free stock when you open a new account.
Here’s the details: You must click on a special promo link to open your new Robinhood account. Then when you fund your account with at least $10, you will receive one stock valued between $5 and $500. Then, you will get a link to share with your friends. Every time one of your friends opens an account, you will receive another free stock valued between $5 and $500. Click here to learn more about this Special Robinhood offer.
Claim your free stock NOW (before it’s too late)